TITLE Battlefield 1942
DEVELOPER EA DICE
US PUBLISHER Electronic Arts
UK PUBLISHER Electronic Arts
NORDIC PUBLISHER Electronic Arts
ONLINE PLAY Yes
Media Screenshots: %SCREENSHOTS%
Official Fact Sheet:
In the multiplayer-focused Battlefield 1942, players are given the power and tools to affect the outcomes of key battles of WWII. With the ability to control over 35 authentic Axis and Allied vehicles from a first person perspective and select from five player classes, they are faced with incredible choices in their plan of action. Among a vast array of available options, players can choose to heroically storm or defend the beaches of Normandy, direct artillery or command a tank at Kursk, pilot a fighter or operate shore battery at Midway, command an aircraft carrier or jeep at Gaudalcanal, and take charge of a bomber or an APC in Tobruk – experiencing some of the most dramatic moments of WWII. The game will be available for the PC in summer 2002.
Battlefield 1942 will support up to 64 players and give them the ability to fully experience World War II combat. Playing as several infantry classes, gamers will also be able to control many weapons available to the Axis and Allies as well as command numerous land vehicles, ships and aircraft. With larger craft such as a bomber or battleship, the game will allow players to choose what stations they serve – pilot, gunner, bombardier, etc. Proper use and management of each vehicle will determine the success or failure of each battle.
Battlefield 1942 will also feature incredibly large and detailed maps – up to four kilometers — that allow players to strategize a variety of battle plans. The fighting in Battlefield 1942 takes place in the most famous and pivotal battles of the Second World War from Europe, Pacific, Eastern Europe and North Africa. Over 16 maps from these four theaters of WWII will be included. The game uses a proprietary engine named the Refractor 2, the most robust 3D rendering engine available and fully fleshes out the action.
Though multiplayer experience will be the focus of Battlefield 1942, there will be a mode of unique single player action. These levels feature advanced artificial intelligence with no scripting, meaning players will get a completely different experience each time they play.
- Control over 35 authentic WWII vehicles ships and aircraft including tanks, fighters, bombers, jeeps and battleships from first person perspective.
- Five different character classes – assault, medic, scout, anti-tank, engineer — with unique strengths and weaknesses.
- 16 large and highly detailed maps from four WWII theaters that players must utilize to give the game strategic elements as well.
- Proprietary Refractor 2 engine raises bar for graphics and 3D rendering.
- Huge multiplayer component supporting up to 64 players that requires teamwork and cooperation from each member in order to achieve victory for the Axis or Allies.
- Operate many hand weapons of war that were available to the Axis and Allies.
Unique single player mode features no scripting, meaning the player will get a completely different experience each time they play.