Hamburg, March 10, 2010 – Just in time for today’s European press event “next-g” gamigo announced the post-apocalyptic MMORPG shooter Grimlands. In the dark and hostile world of Grimlands, players have one goal: survival. Those brave enough to accept this challenge will find themselves facing psychopaths, terrifying mutants and roving bands of outlaws.
In order to get along in such a hostile world, the player will have to rely on their alter ego’s skills. These are not determined by the character’s class or improved by adding skill points: In Grimlands the motto is “Learning by doing”. Skills are improved by being used – practice makes perfect, after all. “Use it or lose it” holds true here as well, with skills that are not used regularly being forgotten after a while. Thus each player develops their character through their own personal playing style.
These skills are developed in a dynamic world where the players’ actions will leave their mark. A comprehensive and flexible crafting system means that there are almost no limits when it comes to building one’s own equipment. Another highlight of this feature are the various vehicles that can be custom-modified and can even be driven by a group people as well as the cities that can be founded and expanded.
Patrick Streppel, Executive Board Member at gamigo, said this: “Grimlands combines the action of a shooter game with role-playing game elements and the open world of an MMORPG for the first time. The graphics and the approach to free skill development are truly remarkable. Just as players leave their mark on the post-apocalyptic world, Grimlands will leave its mark on the world of MMOGs. ”
Closed beta testing of Grimlands is planned to begin in the fourth quarter of 2011. More information can be found soon on the game’s official website.
A selection of images and a teaser trailer are now available for download. The trailer can also be viewed on YouTube.
Features at a glance:
– Innovative combination of third-person shooter and MMORPG in an open and continually-developing world
– Dynamic game world influenced by the actions of the players
– Flexible skill system – skills that are used often are improved while skills that are not used are forgotten
– Comprehensive crafting system with almost endless possibilities
– Quests for single players, groups and area quest that are set in a specific place
– Intelligent opponents that will run for cover, flee, hide or lead players into traps
– Cities that can be controlled and expanded by players
– Modifiable vehicles
– Clan system with ranks, levels, an event calendar and a base
– Comprehensive PvP features with duels, arenas and battlegrounds